Why stabilise oils?
Highly unsaturated oils are very sensitive to oxidation triggered by oxygen, heat, metals, and water, to name but a few. It is therefore vital that they be protected from oxidation in order to preserve their nutritional, flavour and smell qualities as well as their shelf life.
This process is applied to all oils rich in Omega-3 and Omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids, such as:
- Fish oils (different EPA and DHA ratios)
- Vegetable oils
- Micro-algae oils
The QUALITYSILVER® technology developed by Polaris ensures:
- oils rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids are protected against pro-oxidant factors
- performance in term of stability: 2 to 5 times more stable depending on oil type
- optimum preservation of these oils’ nutritional, flavour and smell qualities is guaranteed
- the shelf life of the polyunsaturated fatty acids and their assimilation are optimised
Stability test: Standardized Rancimat test
The Rancimat test (standard NF EN ISO 6886) allows the stability of different fatty elements to be compared by determining their resistance time to oxidation.
The QUALITYSILVER® process acts by delaying onset of oxidation. By comparing the induction times (the time by the end of which oxidation reactions start spreading) of a standard oil* and a Qualitysilver® oil, we are able to demonstrate the improved stability of Omegavie® Qualitysilver® oils with respect to oxidation.
Assessing their stability using the Rancimat test method proves that Omegavie® Qualitysilver® oils show stability 2 to 7 times higher than standard oils*.
* Standard oil = oil containing a natural blend of antioxidants (tocopherols)
Continuous innovation: 5th generation Qualitysilver®
Innovation also means continuous research into the development of the Qualitysilver® stabilisation process in order to strengthen the Omegavie® oil protection process with regard to oxidation: a crucial criteria for high quality nutritional oils.